Sunday, May 10, 2009

Charmed in Luang Prabang, Laos

Our whirlwind tour throughout Southeast Asia continues and we are currently in Luang Prabang, Laos. During a previous trip to Thailand with my family in 2004, I stepped into Laos while we were doing a "golden triangle" (laos, vietnam, cambodia) tour of the Mekong and didn't find it particularly appealing or special. But, sfter minor deliberation, we decided that despite the expensive one-way plane ticket from Hanoi to Laos since we'd probably never get a "natural" opportunity to visit this sliver of a country.

I am SO SO happy we decided to visit because Laos, at least Luang Prabang, is unexpectedly charming. It'ss like the Sierra Madre of Southeast Asia- outside of the wats, the architecture is very Westernized (probably result of some European colonization) and the town is quaint and on the sleepier side. The barely bearable temperature (35-40C) might have something to do with the sleepiness, but compared to the crazy buzzing of Hanoi, Laos is like a gentle slumbering bear. In fact, there is a government mandated 12:00am curfew and dancing is restricted to select few establishments. Tonight, Jason and I have decided to get back to our hotel by 8:30pm so we can shower and catch "Fool's Gold" on HBO on our tiny 12'' Samsung TV...yes, we are getting crazy!

My impression of Vietnam is mixed. It's like when I was 8 and my sister was 14 and I wanted to follow her and her friends everywhere and be just like her. But she was in junior high and a teenager and she'd deliberately speak French, which she was taking in school, and write her notes to her friends in French so I couldnt spy.

Vietnam has so much to love but it doesnt want my love, which irritates and frustrates me to no end. Contrary to the Balinese, which were, at times, obsequious with their attention to tourists, Vietnamese seem to tolerate. I often found the mighty Western side of me wanting to punch them in the face for shoving me, albeit gently, aside when I offer them unreasonable prices for mangos. The fact that I speak broken Spanish, Chinese, Taiwanese and English has no clout in Vietnam, not that is should, but again, the mighty westerner in me demands some polite attention. I'm only half serious.

I commented to Jason that perhaps there is TOO much French influence in Vietnam...

No comments:

Post a Comment