Friday, March 27, 2009

Being green

This country is both literally and culturally green. Public facilities are visibly outfitted with energy conserving bulbs, SUVs (frequently seen in USA) are eschewed for more practical, but equally spacious, hatchbacks/station wagons. Even our YHA (youth hostel) advertises that it uses chemical free detergent, although i'd prefer they bleach the bejeesus of soiled linens. The toilets here (and in Taiwan, suprisingly) come with the option of the full or half flush. It took me awhile to internalize this concept, but now, even when I wake for a midnight number 1, I unconsciously push the waning-moon icon. The full-moon icon is reserved for my duties after my cup of warm water in the morning. I wonder how much water this really saves, and I wonder why this phenomena isn't employed in the US?

I am in complete awe of the freedom allotted to livestock here. Jason and I have seen huge bulls running, yes running! Oh, to be a sheep in this country-! Sheep graze all day long and when they are full, they collapse with full bellies on the greenest hills and bask contentedly in the beautiful New Zealand sunsets. For some odd reason, we haven't seen any pigs, but I've seen them on the butchers block at the markets.

Jason and I have eaten a lot of lamb kebabs and New Zealand Gala apples, which taste SO much better than the imported rubbish we get in the states. Beyond apples, Autumn isn't such a great time for fruit here.

These are just a few things I've noticed. We are in Christchurch right now, it seems to resemble San Francisco mixed with the small English town-feeling. In case any of you decide to visit...So far, this is a list of the NZ cities ranked in order of personal likeability: Wellington, Queenstown, Christchurch and Auckland.

No comments:

Post a Comment