Monday, March 23, 2009

XQueenstownX

Hello from Queenstown, NZ- home and birthplace to all that is X-treme. I want Jason to give you more details about our day since he's madly in love with this city and keeps threatening to move here :) In a nutshell, Queenstown is a full sized city in the likeness of REI; there are seemingly endless amounts of stores carrying sporting/camping/outdoor gear. Bascially, this is Jason's utopia!

I can't remember when we left the States, sometime in February, I think. Taiwan and Hong Kong didn't really feel like travelling because we were in our home countries, spending time with our families and busy doing wedding stuff. Now that creature comforts are hundreds of thousands of miles away, the idea of being away from home for 5 more months, at times, seems pretty daunting. I suffered my first bout of "homesickness" during my first week in New Zealand, missing "home" (wherever that is, at this point), missing my family/friends, missing my dogs, missing familiarity. I really have nothing to complain about, I'm on the trip of a lifetime, and I totally recognize and appreciate.

When we did our kayak through Abel Tasman, we met a girl who had spent the last 1.5 years in both India and Spain and was now couch surfing and hitch hiking through NZ. There must be hundreds of similarly situated people in NZ, and I regretfully acknowledge that I dont have the capacity to be so free.

No real point to this blog, just thinking.

I miss my dogs

2 comments:

  1. I miss you guys too. I check the blog and family book every day since I came back from Taiwan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi San Yi, thanks for reading our blog! Hope you had safe travels back to the states. It was so nice to see you in Taichung, hopefully we'll meet again soon :)

    ReplyDelete