Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dirrrty South w/ Lee's

Today started off with lunch with my relatives in Taipei at a delicious restaurant called Mitsui. I would highly recommend this place if you are ever visiting Taipei and in the mood for some good Japanese. My particular favorite (ate both Jason and my portions) was the durian wrapped in a fried taro nest (think tempura-style). Following lunch we headed back to C&H to pick our our wedding photos. To reiterate Jason's praise of Taiwanese wedding photography: save your money! take photos in Taiwan!! A package that would have started at ~$6K USD (for the photographer that I was interested in), we paid ~$2K USD including expert photoshop techinques to remove pimples and trim underarm fat!! :) We are both looking forward to getting our pictures back in 2 weeks, shipping our ginormous life-size photos is a separate feat...

After photo selections we trekked to Taipei 101, which had its brief 15 minutes of acclaim as the tallest building in the world. I believe this title has been usurped by some behemouth in Dubai? No large building in the Asias is complete without a shopping section, and floors 1-5 of 101 didn't dissapoint.

Even though I've lived in NY for 2 years now, I have never been to the top of the Empire State Bldg. I avoid that area like that plague and bite my thumb at all the tourists milling around, but when in Rome..The view from the top of the observatory was quite breathtaking and we were able to view Taipei in 360 degrees of gloriousness, taking in both urban densities and the lush foliage of Yang Ming San Mountain. Its a shame that this once-rainforest has lost so much of its greenery to overpopulation and development because the mountains of Taiwan are truly one of the most beautiful ranges I have ever visited.

No excursion to a huge mall is complete without a brief stint in the food court. Nina, David, Penny, Jason and I ventured to the ground floor to sample some mall food (much better selection than the states) then Jason and I headed to the main train station to catch the HSR (high speed rail) to the dirty south to visit my parents. Upon arrival to Tainan, we introduced Jason to the wonders of Tainan cuisine stopping at the famous Tainan peddler noodle hut then picked up a few kilos of fruit to last us the night.

We'll hang out here for 2 nights before heading back up to Taichung where our wedding festivities will conclude with a luncheon and maybe (hopefully) a dance show by Jason's mother and her sisters. I'm totally weddingd out and can't wait to stop trying to squeeze into my cocktail attire. I'm ready to get our traveling show on the road!!!

Oh, I got a perm in HK. I am quite fond of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment