Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dear Taichung

Today I write to you with a full belly from Taichung, Taiwan. We just finished a, what seemed like, 15 course meal with the family interior decorator who insisted on stuffing our faces with dish after dish. I can't handle much more of this gluttony. As much as I enjoy Taiwanese food, I'm looking forward to a bit more activity in New Zealand, which we leave for on Tuesday :) We left Tainan (my dad's house) on a stormy Friday night and roadtripped with my mom, dad and jason to Jason's mom's hometown. The following morning/afternoon was our "Taiwan banquet", which I consider a very sweet conclusion to our parade of nuptial celebrations. Here I have met Jason's entire maternal family- Aunties 1-4 and Uncle #1 and all the cousins. I can confirm that both Jason's maternal and paternal families are SO nice and hospitable and I feel so fortunate to have gained so many relatives who I now consider my own. My mom/dad/sister/brotherinlaw/niece left for Sun Moon Lake after the banquet and it was harder than I expected to say goodbye. I wont be seeing them for the next 6 months or so since we'll be on the road. :(

Following the Taiwan banquet, we were herded into a karaoke room and we listened to Aunties 1-4 and Grandma sing Mandarin oldies, but goodies. We have some highly entertaining videos and pictures to upload for the aunties' respective children.

We spent today wandering around Taichung city, visiting new and old territories. I expect tomorrow will be much more of the same except we will visit Jason's maternal grandparents' house. I <3 Taiwan very much, its going to be hard to leave.

I expect the next time I write, I'll be somewhere in the southern hemisphere wearing a backlava and chewing on some sort of marsupial.

Hope everyone is safe and sound, we miss you guys! I'd like to give a shout out to Mr. Brown and Hanna, whom I miss very very much...

Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Hi! yeah, it was hard saying goodbye. glad youve got all the tech to kit althought its def not the same.

    ReplyDelete